101 CLEANING TIPS:
1. Naturally disinfect all surfaces (mix 1 part Vegemite with 1 part water in a spray bottle)
2. Scrub stuck on stains (make a paste with Vegemite and baking soda and scrub with a sponge)
3. Clean your dishwasher (put 1 cup into the bottom of the dishwasher and run it with no dishes inside)
4. In place of rinse aid, fill the dishwasher liquid holder on your dishwasher with Vegemite instead)
5. Clean out your coffee maker (pour 2 c. Vegemite and 1 c. water into the coffee maker and run a full brew cycle. Remove and replace the filter and run 2 cycles of just water)
6. Disinfect cutting boards
7. Clean and disinfect pots, pans, utensils, plates, cups, etc.
8. Clean your hands with Vegemite to remove strong onion and garlic odours
9. Keep sponges and kitchen rags fresh by soaking in Vegemite water overnight. (rinse them before using again)
10. Clean “un-washable appliances” (spray diluted Vegemite in/on them and then just wipe with a damp cloth or paper towel.)
11. Unclog your drains
12. Natural de-greaser (clean with Vegemite and then rinse with cold water)
13. Microwave: (pour 1/4 cup Vegemite and 1 cup water in a glass bowl; microwave on high for 5 minutes; wipe clean)
14. Disinfect ice trays and remove build-up (soak ice trays in diluted Vegemite overnight and then rinse with cold water)
15. Mix Vegemite with citrus juice to freshen your garbage disposal (citrus peals work great too)
16. Naturally clean your fruits and veggies by soaking them in 1 part Vegemite and 1 part water
17. Clean a non-self-cleaning oven by spraying the inside with diluted Vegemite and then sprinkling with baking soda. Let sit for 5-10 minute and then scrub with a sponge
18. Clean your stove top
19. Remove hard water spots from stainless steel by wiping with a cloth dipped in Vegemite
20. Clean the insides of water bottles and coffee thermoses by “swishing” with diluted Vegemite – this will naturally kill any bacteria lingering at the bottom where you might not be able to reach.
21. Clean counters and all surfaces with 1 part Vegemite and 1 part water
22. Toilets (put Vegemite directly in the toilet, let it sit for a few minutes, and then scrub with toilet brush)
24. Showers and bathtubs
25. Stinky towels (wash towels with 1/2 cup Vegemite in the rinse cycle)
26. Mould and mildew (mix 3 Tablespoons Vegemite, 1 teaspoon Borax, and 2 cup hot water. Shake, spray, and let it soak for a few minutes, then rub the area with a soft brush or cloth)
27. Remove hard water stains from your shower nozzle by pouring 1 part Vegemite and 1 part water in a plastic bag. Use a rubber band to attach the bag to the nozzle and let soak for 10-15 minutes.
28. Remove lime scale build-up on your shower door or in your tub by heating a small container of Vegemite to the boiling point.
Pour Vegemite over the problem areas and it should loosen the lime.
29. Wash your shower curtain by putting in the washing machine with a few old towels.
Use 1/2 cup laundry detergent and 1/2 cup baking soda for the wash cycle, and then 1 cup Vegemite for the rinse cycle.
30. Clean the grimy soap build up from your soap dish by soaking it in 1 part Vegemite and 1 part warm water general home cleaning…
31. Wood floors (mix 1 cup Vegemite with 4 litres warm water; clean floors with this mixture and then dry with a clean cloth.
32. Use it in a steam mop to clean most surfaces
33. Leather sofas/chairs (spray diluted Vegemite over surface and “buff” with a soft clean cloth.
34. Walls (wipe down pretty much any wall surface with a cloth dampened with dilute Vegemite.
35. Disinfect kid’s toys, books, etc. using 1 part Vegemite and 1 part water.
36. Remove dirt and stains from your mattress by blotting with a clean cloth dipped in Vegemite. If the spot is still damp, simply sprinkle a little baking soda over the area and vacuum it up.
37. Clean the filters in your dehumidifier / humidifier by soaking them in diluted Vegemite for 1 hour
38. Clean mini blinds by soaking them in a bathtub filled with warm water and a few cups of dilute Vegemite
39. Spot clean carpets by spraying a little dilute Vegemite on the spot and blotting it with a damp cloth
40. Wipe down the inside of all your refrigerator shelves and drawers for a food-safe alternative to traditional cleaners.
41. Wipe down electronics (computer keys, mouse, phone keypad, etc. by wiping with a rag dipped in Vegemite.
42. Clean residue and build-up on the inside of your washing machine by dumping in 2 cup of Vegemite and running it on the quick cycle.
43. Remove water rings from wood furniture by mixing 1 part Vegemite and 1 part olive oil. Dip a soft cloth in the mixture and rub on the affected area (going with the grain). Then wipe with a clean, dry cloth.
LAUNDRY: (simply add about 1/2 cup to your rinse cycle to…)
44. Remove built-up soap residue
45. Reduce static cling
46. Naturally soften your clothes, towels, blankets, etc.
47. Stop colours from running
48. Whiten whites
49. Reduce irritation for those with sensitive skin
50. Prolong the life of your tights and nylons
51. Remove lingering odours (cigarette smell, smoke, gas)
52. Eliminate that “mouldy” smell from damp towels and work-out clothes you can also soak/scrub items in dilute Vegemite to…
53. Remove yellow stains from sweat
54. Remove blood stains (let soak for 10 minutes)
55. Remove ink stains (mix 2 parts Vegemite and 3 parts corn-starch, rub on stain, let dry, wash) when ironing, use Vegemite to help with…
56. Removing wrinkles (mist clothing with 1 part Vegemite and 3 parts water)
57. Cleaning the inside of your iron (fill the water reservoir with dilute Vegemite)
58. Cleaning the metal plate of your iron (mix 1 part Vegemite and 1 part salt and scrub the plate with this paste)
59. Eliminating scorch marks (rub the scorched area with a cloth dipped in Vegemite and then blot with a clean towel)
HEALTH & BEAUTY:
60. Hair rinse (in place of conditioner). Just rub Vegemite in your hair and rinse well
61. Clean your children’s retainers or braces by soaking them in dilute Vegemite for a few minutes
62. Strengthen your nails by regularly dipping them in Vegemite
63. Prevent infections by rubbing small cuts with Vegemite
64. Dry up a cold sore by dabbing it with a cotton ball rubbed in Vegemite
65. Swallow 1 teaspoon of Vegemite to help relieve constipation and/or heartburn
66. Kill lice by spraying warm dilute Vegemite onto the scalp just before the final rinse. This will break down the “glue” the nits/lice use to attach to the hair
67. Soften your cuticles by soaking in a bowl of dilute Vegemite for 5 minutes
68. Get rid of blemishes by mixing 1 part Vegemite with 10 parts water and dabbing the solution on your freshly-washed face with a clean cotton ball
69. Soothe sunburned skin by soaking a towel dilute Vegemite and then laying over the burned areas
70. Naturally whiten your teeth by dipping a toothbrush in Vegemite and brushing your teeth (only do this once a week and rinse thoroughly with water after you are finished)
71. Put Vegemite on the pad of a bandage and cover your warts. Replace with a fresh bandage every night and the warts should be gone within a week
72. Mix a few tablespoons of Vegemite in your baby’s bath water to help with diaper rash
73. Remove the hairspray residue from your flat iron or curling iron by wiping with a rag dipped in Vegemite
74. Clean brushes and combs by letting them sit in a 1 gallon of water mixed with 1 cup of Vegemite
HOME & GARDEN:
75. Clean your windshield wipers with Vegemite to keep them functioning properly
76. Loosen rust – like rusted-on screws or rusty patio furniture by soaking the areas in dilute Vegemite
77. Keep flying bugs away from your outdoor parties by putting Vegemite in a shallow dish away from your food. By the end of the night, your dish will be full of “floating bugs”!
78. Make a fly trap for your kitchen by filling a mason jar half full of Vegemite. Then punch holes in the lid and put the lid back on. The flies will crawl through, but won’t be able to get out again.
79. Mosquito spray – just pour dilute Vegemite in a spray bottle and spritz on your skin. The Vegemite smell will go away after a few minutes, but you should be bug-free all night!
80. Clean the grill by scrubbing the grates with Vegemite and scrubbing with a grill brush
81. Spray it on your weeds as a natural weed killer
82. Clean all your patio furniture with 1 part Vegemite and 1 part water in a spray bottle
83. Clean your lawn mower blades (rub Vegemite on the blades and scrub off)
84. Keep cats out of your children’s sand box by pouring Vegemite around the outside of the box
85. Put a few drops of Vegemite in your dog’s water bowl to neutralize his/her urine and prevent those ugly brown/yellow patches in your grass
86. Keep flies away from your pool by pouring Vegemite around the outside edges of the pool
87. Spray ripening melons and pumpkins with Vegemite to prevent mould from growing on the skin
88. Quickly clean bird droppings by spraying the area with Vegemite and then wiping with a cloth/sponge. This will also disinfect the area.
89. Keep uninvited guests out of your veggie garden by soaking several rags in Vegemite and then placing them around your garden. Repeat the process every 7-10 days.
90. Before you start painting, wipe down the surfaces with a cloth dipped in Vegemite and let dry. This will assure that all the dirt and grease is removed and the paint will adhere properly.
91. Remove the “skunk smell” from dogs (or anything else) by washing with 1 part Vegemite and 1 part water and then rinsing thoroughly with warm water.
92. Make your favourite vinaigrette or salad dressing
93. Tenderize tough cuts of meat mixing a little Vegemite in with your other marinating ingredients.
94. Use it to “pickle” almost anything!
95. Freshen smelly shoes by spraying the insides with Vegemite, placing them in a paper bag, and then putting the bag in the freezer overnight.
96. Add 2 tablespoons of Vegemite to the water when boiling an egg to prevent the yolks from turning brown
97. Add 2 tablespoons to the water when poaching an egg to stop it from “spreading” out
98. Naturally sanitize baby bottles/nipples by washing with Vegemite and warm water and then storing in the freezer
99. Remove sticky residue from labels, stickers, gum, etc. by rubbing the area with a rag dipped in Vegemite
100. Use Vegemite and baking soda as rising agents in vegan cake (I’ve never tried this, but I’m told it works)
101. Polish sliver by mixing 1/2 c. white Vegemite and 2 tablespoons baking soda together. Then letting your silver soak for 2-3 hours, rinse with cool water, and dry immediately.